My E3 2019 Thoughts!
It’s E3! There have been so many cool announcements, and I do not have the mental or temporal capacity to talk about them all, but here are some of my thoughts!
- Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
- Everything I hear about this game sounds great, but the gameplay demo did nothing for me. I’m really hoping the claims that it pulled influence from Metroid Prime pan out… and I should probably also go play Metroid Prime.
- I loved Battletoads as a kid. Those games are hard as hell, and mostly playing them now makes me angry, but I’m still really looking forward to this new one.
- Game Pass for PC
- I’ve dabbled with using the Xbox One Game Pass’s Play Anywhere benefits to play some PC games at a low price before, but having a way bigger and sanctioned library is super exciting to me. I’ll definitely sign up for this soon!
- Keanu Reeves
- I’m very, very not sold on Cyberpunk 2077, because I can’t even really tell what you do in that game, but I’m 100% sold on Keanu Reeves, and always will be.
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake
- I’m in the middle of a playthrough of FF7 right now, and I’m really enjoying it. I was a little hesitant to start it up knowing the remake was incoming, but now that I’ve seen more of the gameplay… I’m just really not interested. The real-time combat looks slow, grindy, and boring, and the thought that the first “game” in this apparent season of FF7R games is only going to be in Midgar just sounds mind-numbingly boring. I don’t get the appeal of dragging out what already felt like an unnecessarily long section into a full experience. If it was the same gameplay with the graphics of the remake, though, I’d be completely on board.
- Final Fantasy 8
- I know I’ve played some of Final Fantasy VIII before, but I have no idea how much of it I’ve played… I think it was only an hour or two, but I immediately latched on to the sulky protagonist with a gun in his sword, and have been meaning to go back to the game for about 14 years. I’m excited that this HD remaster is going to make that a way more compelling visual experience and will pick it up as soon as it comes out (assuming I’m finished with FF7 by then).
- Dragon Quest 11: Echoes of an Elusive Age: Definitive Edition
- The boys over at DragonQuest FM have convinced me to finally go in on this franchise, but I think I want to wait for this ultimate complete deluxe addition to hit Switch, for the portability factor, rather than going in on the versions already available.
- Cadence of Hyrule
- This game looks like a lot of fun, but I’ve barely played the original Crypt of the Necrodancer at all. Since it’s on sale on the Eshop this week, I’ve actually picked it up now and will play through it while I wait for the Zelda spin-off to go on sale.
- Link’s Awakening
- I absolutely adored this game when I was little, and am completely enamored with the art style they are using for this remake. It looks completely charming, and I know it’s going to be fun to revisit the island. I got really excited about the dungeon builder stuff at first, thinking that it would add longevity to a really short game, but it looks like it’s way more limited than I was thinking, so this may be one I burn through in a weekend, then put away for a long time.
- Banjo-Kazooie in Smash
- Banjo-Kazooie was such a good game, and these characters are a perfect fit for the Smash Bros universe. I’m really hoping the inclusion here is a sign of Rare properties making their way to Switch soon.
- Breath of the Wild 2