Mocha Nanaimo Bars
mmmmm MMMM! I don’t know what time of day is accompanied with the most yawns: Monday mornings? or Wednesday afternoons? Either way, these vegan and gluten – free MOCHA Nanaimo Bars serve as an ‘espresso-lent’ pick me up 😉
Why we love them:
What you need prior to baking:
- Food processor
- Stand mixer or large bowl with an electric hand mixer
- Square ‘bar’ pan (I recommend silicone)
- Freezer space
- 2 cups of shredded sweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon of instant coffee or espresso (up to you on how much coffee flavour you want in a mocha!)
- 1/4 cup of custard powder
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of coconut cream full fat
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup of vegan butter
- 3 cups of icing sugar
- 1 cup of vegan chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
The How To:
- Place all of the ingredients for the “base” into a food processor and blend until well mixed.
- Once blended, place in the silicone baking pan.
- Level out with a spatula.
- Place in the freezer to firm.
- In either a large bowl with an electric hand mixer or in a stand-mixer, place the coconut cream, custard powder, and vanilla. Mix for 3 minutes or until the coconut cream is blended entirely.
- Place the vegan butter and vegetable shortening into the bowl and mix on medium to high speed for 3-5 minutes until well whipped.
- Add the icing sugar one cup at a time; blending well after each cup.
- Once mixed and well whipped, scoop out and place on top of the base.
- Smooth out with a spatula and place in the freezer to firm (about 25 minutes).
- In a microwaveable bowl melt the coconut oil and the chocolate chips together at 15 second intervals and stirring after each interval until mixed and melted.
- Have your spatula cleaned and ready to maneuver!
- Remove the pan from the freezer and pour the melted chocolate over the custard filling.
- Smooth the chocolate over the custard filling quickly as the ganache will begin to set on the frozen filling suddenly.
- Place in the fridge to set.
- Serve with a smile 😉