|March Madness: What you should know . . .
- Win $10,000 in VSiN’s Beat The Spread Challenge. Find out how.
- Pre-order our College Basketball Tournament Betting Guide, more than 90 pages of team profiles, tournament trends and staff predictions. It’s $14.99 and will be published Tuesday, March 19. Buy here.
- Coming to Las Vegas next week? Join us for Betting & Buds with Brent at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 20 at the South Point Hotel. It’s free and there are $1 Budweiser products for just $1. Details here.
- Getting in an NCAA bracket contest? The number crunchers at TeamRankings will maximize your edge — and VSiN readers get 10% off their customized bracket picks and tools. Details here.
Dave Tuley’s ATS report . . .
Wall-to-wall college basketball (62 boarded games; we’ll be going mad next Thursday with just 16 NCAA games). Gavorites went 34-27 (55.7%) with Virginia Tech-Florida St. closing pick’em; Unders 33-28-1 (54.1%) with push on NC State-Virginia O/U 132.
CBB highlights . . .
- No. 5 Duke beat Syracuse 84-72 in Zion Williamson’s return; Blue Devils did NOT cover vs. closing line of -13 (though early backers cashed as most books opened -11 or -11.5).
- No. 17 Kansas (-3.5) covered in 65-57 win over Texas
- West Virginia beat No. 7 Texas Tech 79-74 as 7-point underdogs & +775 on money line
- No. 3 North Carolina (-7) covered in 83-70 win over Louisville
- No. 2 Virginia (-11.5), No. 15 Kansas St. (-4), No. 18 Buffalo (-10.5), No. 22 Auburn (-9.5) and No. 25 Villanova (-6.5) all won and covered their conference tournament games. No. 14 Nevada (-12) won but did NOT cover.
- Unranked Ohio St. beat Indiana 79-75 as 2-point underdog in possible key "bubble" game
- No. 12 Florida St. beat No. 16 Virginia Tech 65-63 in OT: It was a coin-flip result after closing PK
NHL: favorites 7-3 with upsets by OTT (+220) over STL, DAL (+100) over MIN & FLA (+180) over SJ; Unders 5-4-1 w/ push on DAL-MIN O/U 5; 1st Period O/U 5-5 but #FollowtheMoney6 Over teams 2-1 (TB & SJ Over, PIT Under) plus DAL (top 1P Under team) Under.
NBA: favorites went 6-0 SU & 4-2 ATS; covering faves were Magic (-8.5) vs. Cavaliers, Pacers (-1) vs. Thunder, Raptors (-7.5) vs. Lakers & Jazz (-9) vs. Timberwolves; Celtics (-7.5) & Nuggets (-11.5) did NOT cover vs. Kings & Mavs; Unders 4-2.
Jeff Fogle on college hoops . . .
Writes Jeff: It’s become a March betting tradition in college basketball. Even though all sports fans understand that tournament action is full of upsets, far too many casual bettors try to parlay money line favorites because they “just can’t see” their chosen favorite losing the next game. Don’t do that and here’s the math behind that advice.
Ron Flatter on horse racing . . .
With not one but two runnings of the Rebel Stakes on Saturday, Oaklawn Park in Arkansas is the focal point of the Ron Flatter Racing Pod. Oaklawn paddock analyst Nancy Ury-Holthus helps to handicap these latest Kentucky Derby points preps. Terry Finley of West Point Thoroughbreds talks about his Rebel contenders Galilean and Gunmetal Gray and their chances of upsetting Improbable and Game Winner. Trainer John Shirreffs reacts to the decision to expand drug restrictions at Santa Anita after the 22nd death of a horse there this winter.
Ron’s column: Yes, there is preview of the two divisions of the Rebel Stakes. But Santa Anita’s response to another racehorse death takes priority.
Seen & Heard on VSiN . . .
On A Numbers Game with Gill, Bill Krackomberger discusses some strange props posted at William Hill, college basketball conference tournaments with Dr. Bob, and the importance of transparency and using consensus lines when sharing your plays.
On Follow The Money with Mitch & Pauly, New Orleans-based football analyst Mike Detillier shares his thoughts on the Saints’ offseason moves, and free agency across the league.
A word from a new advertiser . . .
We talk a lot about the SuperBook at the Westgate Las Vegas Resort & Casino. But what about the rest of the property? Did you know Westgate Las Vegas guests are given special access to the exclusive private golf club, Las Vegas Country Club, located right out the hotel’s back door. Play where Dean Martin teed it up, where both the PGA and LPGA Tours have held professional tournaments. The Las Vegas Country Club is like no other course in the desert with its tree-lined fairways, glistening water features, and park-like setting. Book your stay — and play — today at Westgate Las Vegas. WestgateVegas.com or call 702-732-5631.
Finally . . .
Las Vegas casino owner Derek Stevens, frequent VSiN guest and investor in the company, knows how to have a good time — even at the dentist.