This is a cheesesteak sandwich, keto-style. Man, so good! Here’s whatcha do (and if you’re a carb-eater, I guess you could serve it on a roll) #lettuceisthenewbread
- Good quality deli roast beef (I use Boars Head London Broil) – three slices, rolled and cut to make strips
- 30g onion (or a quarter of a small one?), diced or cut into strips
- 1/3 cup bell pepper ( I use the frozen blend from Trader Joe’s, which is magical)
- About half a clove of minced garlic (or if you’re lazy like me 1/2 tsp of the minced, jarred kind)
- Nonstick skillet (trust. This makes things much easier)
- Oil or butter to sauté the veg (I use an avocado oil/butter combo)
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese. I used a combo of white cheddar and mozzarella, but use whatever cheese you like
- Red leaf or whatever lettuce you like for the wrap. (I like read leaf lettuce from Sprouts the best as a tortilla/bread replacement because it has very little of its own flavor and is super pliable and easy to work with)
- Preheat skillet and oil on medium high— you want it hot enough to fry the veg
- Add onion and get it going until it has a little color on the outside of the pieces
- Add peppers, garlic, pinch of salt and pepper
- Once veg is allllllmost to your doneness preference, add meat and sauté together for a couple of minutes
- Add cheese and stir it all togetherish, but I like it when the cheese isn’t completely incorporated, so I sort of fold it and let it sit just a couple of times.
- When melted, turn off the heat but leave the skillet on the burner for another a minute so that the cheese gets a little char along the edges
- Plate it up and eat!
*I have learned that when I have hot fillings, to keep my lettuce separate until I’m ready to eat it; that way it won’t wilt and get sad. So, I assemble my wraps as I go.
The whole meal is 5 net carbs, 34g protein, 32g fat, 437 calories