Fortnite Season 7
It’s time for Season 7 in Fortnite: Battle Royale. We may have gotten an early look at the Season 7 Battle Pass courtesy of Fortnite Korea, but now we’re moving full-steam ahead with the actual release. At the time of this writing servers are down as we wait to get our hands on new weapons and new lands, but in the meantime, we’ve got the patch notes to keep ourselves occupied. There are a ton of changes as you might expect: not just the big new flashy additions, but continuing balance tweaks and big changes to the weapon loadout as well. Here’s what’s in Fortnite’s big v7.00 update:
New Ice Biome: We won’t be exactly sure where the new ice Biome is until we can boot the game up, but it appears to be the first major map change that’s actually grown the size of the island. Previous seasons have remade large swaths of the playspace, but from what we can see this is all about a new snow-covered land with its own points of interest, icy areas and more. Here’s what Epic has to say on the subject:
- New Biome: Iceberg
- New Location: Frosty Flights
- New Location: Polar Peak
- New Location: Happy Hamlet
- Other unnamed Points of Interest (POIs) have also appeared across the island.
- Icy Surfaces can be found in snowy areas.
- Players will slide on certain frozen surfaces.
- Ziplines can be found around the Iceberg and near Expedition Outposts.
- Latch on and zip from one end to the other.
- Aim, fire, or use items all while conveniently travelling on Ziplines.
- Minimap updated.
- Increased the chance of final circles ending on the outer edges of the map.
- Airplanes: Sure, we’ve gotten vehicles before, but this one is a little more interesting. The new X-4 Stormwing Plane is Fortnite’s first aerial vehicle, which should dramatically alter the vertical landscape of combat. Interestingly enough it comes with five seats, which is one more than the standard squad size. Does this hint at an upcoming air combat-focused large squad mode? I may be reading too much into that.
- 5 total seats.
- Seats 4 passengers (on the wings) and a pilot.
- Has a mounted machine gun. Be careful, it can overheat.
- Players will go into the skydiving state when exiting the X-4 Stormwing.
- Use the roll buttons for sharp turns.
- Pressing both will fly upside down.
- Double tapping roll buttons will do a barrel roll.
- Can boost and airbrake for extra mobility.
- 5 total seats.