March 2019 Meeting Minutes

15-03-2019 17:03

PTO Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, March 13th

Members Present: 12

8:15 am – 9:40 am 

Garden Update

  • Opening hoop house this week to see how everything is growing.
  • Talked to 5th graders regarding garden recess teams, which are starting next week. They are going to help create the butterfly habitat garden and starting tomatoes by seed.
  • Earth Day is Monday, April 22nd. Theme is on farming.
  • Working on blue lupine plants.
  • Green School application has been turned in. Us & one other school in Allegan County are at the highest level. The coordinator would like to meet with us to see what the school & garden does to achieve our level.
  • Starting composting.
  • Seed trip coming up.
  • Working with a senior at the HS who would like to educate DES students regarding bees.
  • Jessica Gray & Bridget Young will co-head the garden committee next school year.

Treasurer Update

  • Turn in any WinterFest receipts for reimbursement.

Wellness Update

  • Parent workshop (Brains in Motion) has been rescheduled, due to weather, on April 9th.
  • Real Food Event – Chickpeas follow up: Kids loved them. Ideas needed for next event. Reach out to Birdie if you have any ideas.

Teacher Appreciation 5/6-5/10 {Laurie & Birdie heading up}

  • 9 Gift Certificates – Birdie has in hand ($25 Family Fare, $25 Hops, (2) $25 Itty Bitty Bar/Black Sheep/Lolo’s, $100 Bowdies, $25 VS Flowers, (3) $25 Cranes)
  • Organize/refresh teachers’ lounge & purchase items for it {Bridget Young heading up} 

Prez Update

  • CPR – $20 per person participating, first (3) classes are full. Still some room left in the Thursday class. Classes are Mon & Wed 4/22 & 4/24 8:30a-10:30a & Tues & Thur 4/23 & 4/25 6p-8p. Room for observers in all classes. Response was extremely positive.
  • Board positions open – election in May (Vice President & Secretary).
  • Committee Positions
  • Teacher-grant request from music teacher. She would like more instruments in the music room. PTO will table for next school year depending upon where we end up on the budget.
  • Thank you cards in PTO Box
  • 1st Day School Supplies Update. Working with teachers to get an idea regarding class supply lists.
  • Douglas Derby Day Request. Douglas event runs from 12 pm – 11pm. Something for all ages. Asking that the PTO/DES parents organize games/crafts at the Wade’s Bayou event on May 4th. If interested, reach out to Birdie.
  • Community follow-up. Working on a connection with SPS and the cities of Saugatuck & Douglas.
  • Letter about MS/HS gym use. Michaelle will pass question on to Mark at the MS/HS.
  • 5TH Grade grant request (not March Madness) for historical fiction books. Julie Hardy will get the books from Scholastic.

Principal Update

  • Winterfest Follow up: Great fun and turn out. Lots of volunteers made the event a success.
  • VanAndel Institute trips are this week. Students are able to go because of grant money the school was awarded.
  • Requests for safety vests for field trips that require more supervision or in busy areas with traffic concerns. PTO OK’d the request. Michaelle will order them.
  • YES meeting for bond. 5:30 at SCA on Wednesdays.
  • Children’s film festival is March 22nd at the SCA.
  • Eloquence day March 28th at the Felt Mansion
  • March 29-April 5 spring break.

Spirit Wear Update

  • Adding order forms.
  • DES office staff will be handling orders in the future. Any proceeds will go to the general office fund.

Screen Free Week Update 5/13-5/17

  • May 17 is the final/big event at Schulz Park. There will be a color run, book fair and more.
  • More details to follow

Welcome Committee

  • Start planning for next year
  • Who will head it up?

Eloquence Day

  • Committee has been meeting. Working on decorations and gift bags. Looking for hygiene donations.
  • Food has been planned/organized.

New Ideas – Open Discussion

  • Parental concerns in regards to student supervision during indoor recess.  Michaelle explained how it was done.  Any parent concerns should be directed to Mrs. Gust.


Next Meeting: April 10 at 6:30.