17 Feb 19
The Scottish Sun
SIMON Cowell has revealed he’s in talks with Netflix and Amazon to move The X Factor and Britain’s Got Talent – just as ITV offer a big-money deal.
The 59-year-old has big plans for both of his TV shows, and told The Mail on Sunday he is in talks with some of the biggest global entertainment brands about them.
Simon Cowell has revealed he’s in talks with Netflix and Amazon to move The X Factor and Britain’s Got Talent – just as ITV offer a big-money deal
He said: “We are having conversations with Netflix and Amazon and YouTube – all of them.
“It was 2000 when we started making these shows, and now there are many, many more opportunities, so we are going to be working with them.
“We get four or five calls a year from other broadcasters saying, ‘do you want to do a deal for one show, two shows, three shows, whatever?'”
The news has reportedly come as a shock to ITV, which has put a big money deal on the table to keep The X Factor and Britain’s Got Talent on the network.
The 59-year-old has axed the traditional format of The X Factor this year in favour of celebrity and all-star versions
Simon said he gets “four or five calls a year from other broadcasters” about his shows
[bc_video video_id=”5971365961001″ account_id=”5067014667001″ player_id=”default” embed=”in-page” padding_top=”56%” autoplay=”” min_width=”0px” max_width=”640px” width=”100%” height=”100%” caption=”Simon Cowell and Ayda Field row live on The X Factor”]
A source told the publication: “We hope he will be signing a new deal with ITV for the foreseeable future.”
Meanwhile an industry insider added: “There are no plans to move either Britain’s Got Talent or The X Factor to Netflix.”
Earlier this week, Simon dropped the bombshell that he had axed The X Factor in favour of two specials, a celebrity version and an all-star series.
Speaking to The Sun, he explained he couldn’t stand idle and watch the shows succumb to an ongoing ratings slide.
[article-rail-section title=”Most Read in TV & Showbiz” posts_category=”6″ posts_number=”6″ query_type=”popular” /]
He said: “I want to clear up any myths — because I’ve got some exciting news.
“I’ve had a meeting with ITV, I’ve told them what I think we’d like to do with X Factor because we’ve been waiting to have this opportunity.
“The time feels right, and it will be a huge change. We haven’t exactly confirmed the dates or the order of the shows, but essentially there are going to be two versions of X Factor running this year.
Britains Got Talent is also getting a Champions version
[bc_video video_id=”5968490464001″ account_id=”5067014667001″ player_id=”default” embed=”in-page” padding_top=”56%” autoplay=”” min_width=”0px” max_width=”640px” width=”100%” height=”100%” caption=”Louis Tomlinson leaves Simon Cowell in total shock after snapping at him on X Factor”]
“I think it’s going to be huge, it’s the best I’ve felt about this show in years.”
He added: “I’m waiting for confirmation this week on some dates and clarification on the second show, but all we’re trying to do is upgrade and glamorise the show.
“ITV wanted the regular X Factor and, as I’ve told you before, we’ve been offered a new five-year deal on both formats, which we haven’t agreed to yet.
“We just want to get this part cleared up first.
“Then next year the main X Factor show will change again and we’ve got something very, very exciting, that I can’t get into yet, but it’s a four-year plan.”
Got a story? email email@example.com or call us direct on 02077824220.
We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.