Pendleton

13 Dec 18
Heart Centered Events OC & Beyond

Enjoy energy healing, experience the joy of crystals, speak with an intuitive counselor! Food will be available on site so, stay all day to see all the FREE speakers throughout the day!

13 Dec 18
Carole Di Tosti

Whenever Tulis McCall performs I make it a point to stop by and catch her show if I can. I primarily do this for the laughs and the uplift. Watching her top off her crowd work with original riffs and exquisite pacing and delivery, I receive a healing. I completely identify with her wisdom about […]

13 Dec 18
4 Star Films

Apple Annie (May Robson) is one of the many impoverished individuals on the streets of New York City trying to eke by in the pits of the Depression. She makes a meager living as a fruit vendor. But appearances can be deceiving and Annie has long corresponded with and paid for her daughter Louise to […]

13 Dec 18
News Archives Uk

At the Banqueting House in Whitehall, London, on Thursday held Military Awards rose many celebrities on the red carpet. Emily Atack, 28, is a celebrity star and showed her natural beauty and freckles as she led the celebrity arrivals on her first appearance on the red carpet since leaving the jungle at the awards organized […]

13 Dec 18
The Sun
ENGLAND football manager Gareth Southgate last night hailed one of the nation’s true heroes at The Sun’s glittering  Military Awards. Gareth, who led the team’s run to the World Cup semi-finals, joined a host of other stars at  London’s historic Banqueting House. Major Scotty Mills receives his Inspiring Others award from Gareth Southgate And he handed Major Scotty Mills the Inspiring Others gong. Scotty, 51, had put the  Three Lions — and their manager — through an intense weekend of Commando training before this summer’s tournament in Russia. Gareth, 48, said: “There are many people in the room who represent Queen and country and some are described as heroes and I am really clear the only heroes are the ones in your team. “The consequences of success or failure are so much higher. Major Mills with Gareth Southgate on Commando course “The winner of this award is somebody who helped us to maintain that perspective and help develop our resilience, who helped developed our leaders ship and our togetherness and helped inspire me to be a better leader.” Presenter Lorraine Kelly, 59, begged Scotty to  work his magic with the Scotland team. Ant Middleton and Emily Atack salute the some of the Millies winners But Scotty told her: “It ain’t happening, Lorraine.” Pointing to Gareth, he added: “There’s a man over there I made a promise to.” Other brave military defenders from across the Royal Navy, Army and RAF rubbed shoulders with celebrity icons as ten awards were handed out for unparalleled courage over the past year. Helen Flanagan with ‘Vegas Six’ pair Zach and James And plucky I’m A Celeb runner-up Emily Atack, 28, who presented the first award, said: “It’s very important to acknowledge true acts of heroism and bravery. “Lying in a pile of snakes in the jungle is nothing compared to that.” Other guests included telly adventurer Bear Grylls, 44, Made in Chelsea’s Georgia Toffolo, 24, fellow reality star Joey Essex, 28, Olympic cycling golden girl  Victoria Pendleton, 38,  and actress Joely Richardson, 53. And Corrie’s Helen Flanagan, 28, posed with two of the  award-winning Vegas Six troopers, Zach Davidson  and  James Astbury. Sun’s Lorraine Kelly with winner Cdr Andrew Parkinson [boxout headline=”KYM WITH HER HERO” featured-image=”7975330″ intro=”CORONATION Street star Kym Marsh arrived holding hands with her soldier boyfriend Scott Ratcliff.”]Kym, 42, and Scott, 30,  a major in the Parachute Regiment have rarely appeared in public together. She said last night: “He’s been out in Kenya on a training exercise and tonight was the first time we’ve seen each other in weeks.” I’m A Celebrity star Nick Knowles, 56, and former Strictly dancers James Jordan, 40, and wife Ola, 36, were among the other guests. [/boxout] The  Queens Dragoons Guards heroes  rushed to help during the city’s  shooting massacre last year. Emily’s jungle campmate Nick Knowles had also scrubbed up well as he was pictured  with dance pros  Ola and James Jordan. Nick commented: “What we did in the jungle — people said it was hard work but our military do that day in day out and I’m honoured to give an award.” The annual awards,  dubbed the Millies and sponsored by BAE Systems, are now in their 11th year. Jungle runner-up Emily Atack showed her support to our Armed Forces [boxout headline=”ANT’S PRAISE” featured-image=”7975453″ intro=”ANT Middleton, star of TV’s SAS: Who Dares Wins, praised the Vegas Six for showing the best of the British Army.”]The Queens Dragoon Guards troopers helped casualties at the Las Vegas festival massacre last October. Special Boat Service veteran Ant, 37, said: “Even off duty, they use their training to help people. That’s why the British military is so respected.”[/boxout] There were cheers and tears as the gongs were handed out by telly star Lorraine, 59, for incredible acts of heroism and grit. Others honoured included Blind battler Rob Long, 31. The former Lance Bombardier was awarded the Overcoming Adversity gong after he lost both eyes to a Taliban bomb in 2010 and went on to become a Para World Champion in jiu-jitsu. The nominees began their day at  10 Downing Street, where they were hosted at a  reception by Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson. Blind battler Rob Long, 31… The former Lance Bombardier was awarded the Overcoming Adversity gong after he lost both eyes to a Taliban bomb in 2010 and went on to become a Para World Champion in jiu-jitsu PM Theresa May, fresh from securing her party’s backing at Wednesday’s confidence vote, was unable to attend the night as she was in Brussels working on  a Brexit deal. husband Philip attended the awards in her place. But she recorded a message for all the nominees and winners. Actress Joely Richardson was there to cheer the heroes She said: “The Millies have become a great British institution, championing our military heroes and reflecting the extraordinary scope of work our Armed Forces do.” Mrs May she added: “Let me say a huge thank you to The Sun and to Sun readers for your constant support of our Armed Forces, and for ensuring  our serving men and women get the recognition they rightly deserve.” Joey Essex, 28, came out to cheer on the heroes Survival show star  Grylls said at the bash: “The Sun, what a great job you guys do supporting the heroes, so well done and to all your readers that support it.” At the end of the evening, they were all handed a special Millies edition of The Sun — printed and delivered with pics from the night. I’m A Celeb’s Nick Knowles with Ola and James Jordan [article-rail-section title=”MOST READ IN NEWS” posts_category=”327″ posts_number=”6″ query_type=”recent” /] Winners were chosen by our panel of former Forces chiefs and celebrity military supporters from a shortlist whittled down from hundreds of nominations. Top Brass also attended the event, including the nation’s top military chief, General Sir Nick Carter, and the head of the RAF Air Chief Marshal Sir Stephen Hillier. The Millies will be shown on Forces TV next Wednesday at 9pm. Sky 450, Virgin 277, Freesat 165, Freeview/YouView 96. [bc_video video_id=”5979160701001″ account_id=”5067014667001″ player_id=”default” embed=”in-page” padding_top=”56%” autoplay=”” min_width=”0px” max_width=”640px” width=”100%” height=”100%” caption=”Millies 2018: Armed Forces’ heroes and celebrities arrive for The Sun Military Awards”] GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL exclusive@the-sun.co.uk
13 Dec 18
The Sun
THESE are the bravest and most remarkable people in Britain’s Armed Forces – the winners at last night’s Sun Military Awards. The heroes were honoured at a ceremony hosted by TV’s Lorraine Kelly at Banqueting House in London’s Whitehall. HMS Daring won the award for Hero Overseas: Unit Earlier in the day, more than 120 nominees enjoyed a reception at 10 Downing St. It was hosted by Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson, who told the nominees: “You are changing peoples’ lives, you are changing the course of history, you are the ones that actually demonstrate that Britain is a power that can bring good, bring hope and change the lives of people.” Prime Minister Theresa May — unable to host the drinks bash as she had to race to Brussels for the latest Brexit talks — sent a message declaring: “You show so clearly why our Armed Forces are the very best in the world.” Nominations opened in June for the 11th annual Millies, with hundreds of entries in different categories being shortlisted by judges before last night’s awards. Lorraine Kelly hosted the awards in London’s Whitehall The panel for the gongs, which are sponsored by BAE Systems, included Ben Fogle, Jeremy Clarkson, SAS hero Andy McNabb and Penny Lancaster, plus numerous military top brass. These are the winners and their stories. Overcoming Adversity Winner: Former LBdr Rob Long, 473 Special Observation Battery, Royal Artillery Both of Rob Long’s eyes were destroyed when he was hit by a buried bomb in Afghanistan COURAGEOUS ex-soldier Rob Long has battled back from blindness to become a world champion in jiu-jitsu. The former elite surveillance soldier was hit when a buried bomb exploded in Afghan hellhole Sangin in 2010. His helmet was split in two by the blast – and both of his eyes were destroyed. But since then the ex- Lance Bombardier has taken up the Japanese martial art and earlier this year won gold at the Para World Jiu-Jitsu Championships in the UAE. Rob was last night handed his gong by TV’s Bear Grylls and Susanna Reid. The dad-of-one, 31, from South East London, said: “My life was in tatters. Now I am sat here with all these wonderful people – it’s incredible. I feel like this has brought part of my life back for me.” Hero Overseas: Unit Winner:  HMS Daring The crew spent 50 days operating in the Gulf of Aden ROYAL Navy warship HMS Daring and her crew of 160 sailed some of the world’s most perilous waters last year to protect vital shipping. The operation was launched in the Gulf of Aden to patrol the narrow Bab-el-Mandeb Strait as the war between Saudi Arabia and Iranian-backed Houthi rebels raged in Yemen. The crew spent 50 days operating in the high-threat area, at times within reach of missiles aimed directly at them. In total HMS Daring spent 97 hours at Action Stations, with 100 per cent of the crew on watch as they escorted more than 800,000 tonnes of shipping. Accepting the award, Commander Philip Dennis, who captained the ship, said: “One big thank you is to our friends and families, who were not with us but were with us in spirit for the nine months we were away.” Olympic cycling ace Victoria Pendleton, 38, who presented the award, said: “When we come to something like this it’s real life and it’s very humbling.” Hero Overseas: Individual Winner:  LCpl Chris May, LCpl Dean Priestley, Tpr Stuart Finlay, Tpr Ross Woodward, Tpr James Astbury, Tpr Zak Davidson The award was presented by Ant Middleton and Emily Atak THESE six hero soldiers were on a lads’ weekend in Las Vegas when the worst mass shooting in US history unfolded – and they raced into the danger zone. Their friends, of the Queen’s Dragoon Guards, were partying following a military exercise when crazed Stephen Paddock opened fire on an open-air concert in October last year, leaving 58 dead and more than 500 injured. Lance Corporal Priestley said last night: “We saw people running towards us screaming, and knew we had to help”. They treated the injured and lead others to safety. Lance Corporal May said: “We just acted on instinct. Training just kicked in. It was only when we got back to the hotel room later that it started to sink in. My parents phoned me and they were absolutely petrified.” The award was presented by ex-SAS tough guy Ant Middleton, 37, and I’m A Celebrity runner-up Emily Atak, 28. Hero At Home: Unit Winner: Joint Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Task Force This force risked their lives after the Novichok attack in Salisbury WHEN deadly nerve agent Novichok was released in Salisbury, Wilts, more than 1,200 troops from this task force risked their own health to protect everyone else from harm. The attack on former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter, followed by the death of local mum-of-three Dawn Sturgess and the poisoning of her partner, sent shockwaves around the world. Proud Group Captain Jason “Chez” Davies, the officer commanding the task force, said last night: “We did the job between dusk and dawn, out of mind, out of sight, because actually doing our job in front of the people of Salisbury would have increased the fear. “So to be recognised and respected at the end of it is just simply tremendous.” Hero At Home: Individual Winner: Cdr Andrew Parkinson, Commanding Officer Navy Combined Cadet Force Andrew Parkinson jumped into the River Hamble to save the life of a drowning woman COMMANDER Andrew Parkinson saved the life of a drowning woman in July after she became trapped underneath her boat . The 55-year-old was celebrating his birthday on his own boat on the River Hamble in Southampton when he heard a scream and splash – then saw a her under the water. He dived in and found her life jacket was wedged under the hull. Cdr Parkinson recalled: “She was unconscious and lifeless. I knew if I let her go we would be recovering a body.” He cut her free, hauled her out and cleared the water from her lungs. Then his phone rang – it was his wife, to say happy birthday. He said: “I told her I had been involved in saving someone’s life. Without skipping a beat, she said, ‘Well done you, give me a call when it all calms down’.” Best Reservist Winner: Cpl Isabell Hutchinson, 299 Parachute Squadron, Royal Engineers Isabell Hutchinson talked a teenager out of committing suicide DEDICATED Isabell Hutchinson talked a desperate teenager out of a suicide attempt. The reservist, 29, from Sutton-in-Craven, North Yorks – who has a full time job as an HR executive – used all her Army training when she intervened last June in Poole, Dorset. She saw the girl sitting alone in a multi-storey car park as she drove out after doing some shopping, and her gut told her something was wrong.  She turned back, calmed the girl and talked her away from danger. Corporal Hutchinson, a married mum of one, said last night: “I’m still in shock, I didn’t expect to win, it’s an amazing feeling.  It’s such a prestigious event, and it’s amazing that people are honoured like this.” Corrie’s Antony Cotton, 43, who handed over the award alongside ex-I’m A Celebrity champ Georgia Toffolo, 24, said: “I’m so lucky to hear these people’s incredible stories.   Inspiring Others Winner: Major Scotty Mills, Royal Marines Gareth Southgate presented the award to Maj Millls MANAGER of England’s heroic World Cup team Gareth Southgate handed Major Scotty Mills his award with the words: “I am really clear that the only heroes are the ones in your team.” Maj Mills helped the footballers to glory by injecting the Royal Marines’ team ethos into the squad. Players visited the Royal Marines at their base in Lympstone, Devon, for a weekend of Commando training at the hands of the married dad-of-four. Maj Mills, 51, of Peckham, South East London, is head of physical training for the Royal Marines and through the sessions ended up forging a close bond with Gareth, 48. Last night he said: “I had no idea this would happen.  I would like to say thank you to Gareth, for presenting me the award, but more for your friendship and the friendship of your England team. You’ve really connected our nation . . . and gave us a summer of football to remember.” Support To The Armed Forces Winner: There But Not There The statues raised millions of pounds for six Forces charities GHOSTLY silhouettes of Tommies sprang up around the UK and abroad in this spine-tingling art campaign.They were part of the commemorations marking 100 years since the end of World War One. The silhouettes, made by former servicemen, were then sold, raising millions of pounds for six Forces charities. Campaign chief Rowley Gregg said: “It’s a true honour and a privilege to be standing here in front of all these wonderful people. That’s the reason that charities and groups like ours are so important – because they can look after these veterans.” Sun columnist Jane Moore, 56, who presented the award alongside Coronation Street star Kym Marsh, 42, said: “Every time you see those statues it makes you think.” Innovation Awards Winner: Defence Science and Technology Laboratory – Sepsis research This team discovered a way to prevent sepsis deaths THIS brilliant team as become the first in the world to discover the key to preventing deaths from sepsis. After a decade of work, the lab in Salisbury, Wilts, have found the killer infection’s genetic “signature”. It is the first step to developing a test that can be used in hospitals – and on battlefields – to treat blood poisoning before it kills. Lead scientist on the project Roman Lukaszewski, 47, said: “The problem you’ve got with infection is, the longer you leave it, the worse it gets. “We thought it would be a good idea to enable treatment to occur before you get ill.” [article-rail-section title=”MOST READ IN UK NEWS” posts_category=”327″ posts_number=”6″ query_type=”popular” /] Judges’ Special Recognition Award Winner: RAF100 Wing Commander Kevin Gatland organised many of the year-long RAF festivities to mark the 100 year anniversary THESE breath-taking celebrations to mark 100 years since the creation of the RAF captured the nation’s hearts and inspired a new generation to take to the skies. As part of the year-long festivities, more than 75,000 people crowded into The Mall in London to enjoy a momentous day including a parade and stunning fly-by of 103 RAF aircraft. Wing Commander Kevin Gatland, 37, who planned the fly-past, said afterwards: “It genuinely brought a lump to my throat, hearing the reaction of the crowd”. Another 165,000 people visited the RAF 100 Aircraft Tour which travelled the country, and 1.6million children took part in special school activities and challenges. [boxout headline=”The Sun Says”]FOR 11 years The Sun has cheered on Britain’s forces at our Millies spectacular. We hope we did them proud again last night. It’s an honour for us to lead the nation’s salute to our troops. They are the best of British. [/boxout] [bc_video video_id=”5979160701001″ account_id=”5067014667001″ player_id=”default” embed=”in-page” padding_top=”56%” autoplay=”” min_width=”0px” max_width=”640px” width=”100%” height=”100%” caption=”Millies 2018: Armed Forces’ heroes and celebrities arrive for The Sun Military Awards”] GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL exclusive@the-sun.co.uk
13 Dec 18
The Scottish Sun
THESE are the bravest and most remarkable people in Britain’s Armed Forces – the winners at last night’s Sun Military Awards. The heroes were honoured at a ceremony hosted by TV’s Lorraine Kelly at Banqueting House in London’s Whitehall. HMS Daring won the award for Hero Overseas: Unit Earlier in the day, more than 120 nominees enjoyed a reception at 10 Downing St. It was hosted by Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson, who told the nominees: “You are changing peoples’ lives, you are changing the course of history, you are the ones that actually demonstrate that Britain is a power that can bring good, bring hope and change the lives of people.” Prime Minister Theresa May — unable to host the drinks bash as she had to race to Brussels for the latest Brexit talks — sent a message declaring: “You show so clearly why our Armed Forces are the very best in the world.” Nominations opened in June for the 11th annual Millies, with hundreds of entries in different categories being shortlisted by judges before last night’s awards. Lorraine Kelly hosted the awards in London’s Whitehall The panel for the gongs, which are sponsored by BAE Systems, included Ben Fogle, Jeremy Clarkson, SAS hero Andy McNabb and Penny Lancaster, plus numerous military top brass. These are the winners and their stories. Overcoming Adversity Winner: Former LBdr Rob Long, 473 Special Observation Battery, Royal Artillery Both of Rob Long’s eyes were destroyed when he was hit by a buried bomb in Afghanistan COURAGEOUS ex-soldier Rob Long has battled back from blindness to become a world champion in jiu-jitsu. The former elite surveillance soldier was hit when a buried bomb exploded in Afghan hellhole Sangin in 2010. His helmet was split in two by the blast – and both of his eyes were destroyed. But since then the ex- Lance Bombardier has taken up the Japanese martial art and earlier this year won gold at the Para World Jiu-Jitsu Championships in the UAE. Rob was last night handed his gong by TV’s Bear Grylls and Susanna Reid. The dad-of-one, 31, from South East London, said: “My life was in tatters. Now I am sat here with all these wonderful people – it’s incredible. I feel like this has brought part of my life back for me.” Hero Overseas: Unit Winner:  HMS Daring The crew spent 50 days operating in the Gulf of Aden ROYAL Navy warship HMS Daring and her crew of 160 sailed some of the world’s most perilous waters last year to protect vital shipping. The operation was launched in the Gulf of Aden to patrol the narrow Bab-el-Mandeb Strait as the war between Saudi Arabia and Iranian-backed Houthi rebels raged in Yemen. The crew spent 50 days operating in the high-threat area, at times within reach of missiles aimed directly at them. In total HMS Daring spent 97 hours at Action Stations, with 100 per cent of the crew on watch as they escorted more than 800,000 tonnes of shipping. Accepting the award, Commander Philip Dennis, who captained the ship, said: “One big thank you is to our friends and families, who were not with us but were with us in spirit for the nine months we were away.” Olympic cycling ace Victoria Pendleton, 38, who presented the award, said: “When we come to something like this it’s real life and it’s very humbling.” Hero Overseas: Individual Winner:  LCpl Chris May, LCpl Dean Priestley, Tpr Stuart Finlay, Tpr Ross Woodward, Tpr James Astbury, Tpr Zak Davidson The award was presented by Ant Middleton and Emily Atak THESE six hero soldiers were on a lads’ weekend in Las Vegas when the worst mass shooting in US history unfolded – and they raced into the danger zone. Their friends, of the Queen’s Dragoon Guards, were partying following a military exercise when crazed Stephen Paddock opened fire on an open-air concert in October last year, leaving 58 dead and more than 500 injured. Lance Corporal Priestley said last night: “We saw people running towards us screaming, and knew we had to help”. They treated the injured and lead others to safety. Lance Corporal May said: “We just acted on instinct. Training just kicked in. It was only when we got back to the hotel room later that it started to sink in. My parents phoned me and they were absolutely petrified.” The award was presented by ex-SAS tough guy Ant Middleton, 37, and I’m A Celebrity runner-up Emily Atak, 28. Hero At Home: Unit Winner: Joint Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Task Force This force risked their lives after the Novichok attack in Salisbury WHEN deadly nerve agent Novichok was released in Salisbury, Wilts, more than 1,200 troops from this task force risked their own health to protect everyone else from harm. The attack on former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter, followed by the death of local mum-of-three Dawn Sturgess and the poisoning of her partner, sent shockwaves around the world. Proud Group Captain Jason “Chez” Davies, the officer commanding the task force, said last night: “We did the job between dusk and dawn, out of mind, out of sight, because actually doing our job in front of the people of Salisbury would have increased the fear. “So to be recognised and respected at the end of it is just simply tremendous.” Hero At Home: Individual Winner: Cdr Andrew Parkinson, Commanding Officer Navy Combined Cadet Force Andrew Parkinson jumped into the River Hamble to save the life of a drowning woman COMMANDER Andrew Parkinson saved the life of a drowning woman in July after she became trapped underneath her boat . The 55-year-old was celebrating his birthday on his own boat on the River Hamble in Southampton when he heard a scream and splash – then saw a her under the water. He dived in and found her life jacket was wedged under the hull. Cdr Parkinson recalled: “She was unconscious and lifeless. I knew if I let her go we would be recovering a body.” He cut her free, hauled her out and cleared the water from her lungs. Then his phone rang – it was his wife, to say happy birthday. He said: “I told her I had been involved in saving someone’s life. Without skipping a beat, she said, ‘Well done you, give me a call when it all calms down’.” Best Reservist Winner: Cpl Isabell Hutchinson, 299 Parachute Squadron, Royal Engineers Isabell Hutchinson talked a teenager out of committing suicide DEDICATED Isabell Hutchinson talked a desperate teenager out of a suicide attempt. The reservist, 29, from Sutton-in-Craven, North Yorks – who has a full time job as an HR executive – used all her Army training when she intervened last June in Poole, Dorset. She saw the girl sitting alone in a multi-storey car park as she drove out after doing some shopping, and her gut told her something was wrong.  She turned back, calmed the girl and talked her away from danger. Corporal Hutchinson, a married mum of one, said last night: “I’m still in shock, I didn’t expect to win, it’s an amazing feeling.  It’s such a prestigious event, and it’s amazing that people are honoured like this.” Corrie’s Antony Cotton, 43, who handed over the award alongside ex-I’m A Celebrity champ Georgia Toffolo, 24, said: “I’m so lucky to hear these people’s incredible stories.   Inspiring Others Winner: Major Scotty Mills, Royal Marines Gareth Southgate presented the award to Maj Millls MANAGER of England’s heroic World Cup team Gareth Southgate handed Major Scotty Mills his award with the words: “I am really clear that the only heroes are the ones in your team.” Maj Mills helped the footballers to glory by injecting the Royal Marines’ team ethos into the squad. Players visited the Royal Marines at their base in Lympstone, Devon, for a weekend of Commando training at the hands of the married dad-of-four. Maj Mills, 51, of Peckham, South East London, is head of physical training for the Royal Marines and through the sessions ended up forging a close bond with Gareth, 48. Last night he said: “I had no idea this would happen.  I would like to say thank you to Gareth, for presenting me the award, but more for your friendship and the friendship of your England team. You’ve really connected our nation . . . and gave us a summer of football to remember.” Support To The Armed Forces Winner: There But Not There The statues raised millions of pounds for six Forces charities GHOSTLY silhouettes of Tommies sprang up around the UK and abroad in this spine-tingling art campaign.They were part of the commemorations marking 100 years since the end of World War One. The silhouettes, made by former servicemen, were then sold, raising millions of pounds for six Forces charities. Campaign chief Rowley Gregg said: “It’s a true honour and a privilege to be standing here in front of all these wonderful people. That’s the reason that charities and groups like ours are so important – because they can look after these veterans.” Sun columnist Jane Moore, 56, who presented the award alongside Coronation Street star Kym Marsh, 42, said: “Every time you see those statues it makes you think.” Innovation Awards Winner: Defence Science and Technology Laboratory – Sepsis research This team discovered a way to prevent sepsis deaths THIS brilliant team as become the first in the world to discover the key to preventing deaths from sepsis. After a decade of work, the lab in Salisbury, Wilts, have found the killer infection’s genetic “signature”. It is the first step to developing a test that can be used in hospitals – and on battlefields – to treat blood poisoning before it kills. Lead scientist on the project Roman Lukaszewski, 47, said: “The problem you’ve got with infection is, the longer you leave it, the worse it gets. “We thought it would be a good idea to enable treatment to occur before you get ill.” [article-rail-section title=”MOST READ IN UK NEWS” posts_category=”141″ posts_number=”6″ query_type=”popular” /] Judges’ Special Recognition Award Winner: RAF100 Wing Commander Kevin Gatland organised many of the year-long RAF festivities to mark the 100 year anniversary THESE breath-taking celebrations to mark 100 years since the creation of the RAF captured the nation’s hearts and inspired a new generation to take to the skies. As part of the year-long festivities, more than 75,000 people crowded into The Mall in London to enjoy a momentous day including a parade and stunning fly-by of 103 RAF aircraft. Wing Commander Kevin Gatland, 37, who planned the fly-past, said afterwards: “It genuinely brought a lump to my throat, hearing the reaction of the crowd”. Another 165,000 people visited the RAF 100 Aircraft Tour which travelled the country, and 1.6million children took part in special school activities and challenges. [boxout headline=”The Sun Says”]FOR 11 years The Sun has cheered on Britain’s forces at our Millies spectacular. We hope we did them proud again last night. It’s an honour for us to lead the nation’s salute to our troops. They are the best of British. [/boxout] [bc_video video_id=”5979160701001″ account_id=”5067014667001″ player_id=”default” embed=”in-page” padding_top=”56%” autoplay=”” min_width=”0px” max_width=”640px” width=”100%” height=”100%” caption=”Millies 2018: Armed Forces’ heroes and celebrities arrive for The Sun Military Awards”] GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL exclusive@the-sun.co.uk
13 Dec 18
The Scottish Sun
ENGLAND football manager Gareth Southgate last night hailed one of the nation’s true heroes at The Sun’s glittering  Military Awards. Gareth, who led the team’s run to the World Cup semi-finals, joined a host of other stars at  London’s historic Banqueting House. Major Scotty Mills receives his Inspiring Others award from Gareth Southgate And he handed Major Scotty Mills the Inspiring Others gong. Scotty, 51, had put the  Three Lions — and their manager — through an intense weekend of Commando training before this summer’s tournament in Russia. Gareth, 48, said: “There are many people in the room who represent Queen and country and some are described as heroes and I am really clear the only heroes are the ones in your team. “The consequences of success or failure are so much higher. Major Mills with Gareth Southgate on Commando course “The winner of this award is somebody who helped us to maintain that perspective and help develop our resilience, who helped developed our leaders ship and our togetherness and helped inspire me to be a better leader.” Presenter Lorraine Kelly, 59, begged Scotty to  work his magic with the Scotland team. Ant Middleton and Emily Atack salute the some of the Millies winners But Scotty told her: “It ain’t happening, Lorraine.” Pointing to Gareth, he added: “There’s a man over there I made a promise to.” Other brave military defenders from across the Royal Navy, Army and RAF rubbed shoulders with celebrity icons as ten awards were handed out for unparalleled courage over the past year. Helen Flanagan with ‘Vegas Six’ pair Zach and James And plucky I’m A Celeb runner-up Emily Atack, 28, who presented the first award, said: “It’s very important to acknowledge true acts of heroism and bravery. “Lying in a pile of snakes in the jungle is nothing compared to that.” Other guests included telly adventurer Bear Grylls, 44, Made in Chelsea’s Georgia Toffolo, 24, fellow reality star Joey Essex, 28, Olympic cycling golden girl  Victoria Pendleton, 38,  and actress Joely Richardson, 53. And Corrie’s Helen Flanagan, 28, posed with two of the  award-winning Vegas Six troopers, Zach Davidson  and  James Astbury. Sun’s Lorraine Kelly with winner Cdr Andrew Parkinson [boxout headline=”KYM WITH HER HERO” featured-image=”3622109″ intro=”CORONATION Street star Kym Marsh arrived holding hands with her soldier boyfriend Scott Ratcliff.”]Kym, 42, and Scott, 30,  a major in the Parachute Regiment have rarely appeared in public together. She said last night: “He’s been out in Kenya on a training exercise and tonight was the first time we’ve seen each other in weeks.” I’m A Celebrity star Nick Knowles, 56, and former Strictly dancers James Jordan, 40, and wife Ola, 36, were among the other guests. [/boxout] The  Queens Dragoons Guards heroes  rushed to help during the city’s  shooting massacre last year. Emily’s jungle campmate Nick Knowles had also scrubbed up well as he was pictured  with dance pros  Ola and James Jordan. Nick commented: “What we did in the jungle — people said it was hard work but our military do that day in day out and I’m honoured to give an award.” The annual awards,  dubbed the Millies and sponsored by BAE Systems, are now in their 11th year. Jungle runner-up Emily Atack showed her support to our Armed Forces [boxout headline=”ANT’S PRAISE” featured-image=”3622110″ intro=”ANT Middleton, star of TV’s SAS: Who Dares Wins, praised the Vegas Six for showing the best of the British Army.”]The Queens Dragoon Guards troopers helped casualties at the Las Vegas festival massacre last October. Special Boat Service veteran Ant, 37, said: “Even off duty, they use their training to help people. That’s why the British military is so respected.”[/boxout] There were cheers and tears as the gongs were handed out by telly star Lorraine, 59, for incredible acts of heroism and grit. Others honoured included Blind battler Rob Long, 31. The former Lance Bombardier was awarded the Overcoming Adversity gong after he lost both eyes to a Taliban bomb in 2010 and went on to become a Para World Champion in jiu-jitsu. The nominees began their day at  10 Downing Street, where they were hosted at a  reception by Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson. Blind battler Rob Long, 31… The former Lance Bombardier was awarded the Overcoming Adversity gong after he lost both eyes to a Taliban bomb in 2010 and went on to become a Para World Champion in jiu-jitsu PM Theresa May, fresh from securing her party’s backing at Wednesday’s confidence vote, was unable to attend the night as she was in Brussels working on  a Brexit deal. husband Philip attended the awards in her place. But she recorded a message for all the nominees and winners. Actress Joely Richardson was there to cheer the heroes She said: “The Millies have become a great British institution, championing our military heroes and reflecting the extraordinary scope of work our Armed Forces do.” Mrs May she added: “Let me say a huge thank you to The Sun and to Sun readers for your constant support of our Armed Forces, and for ensuring  our serving men and women get the recognition they rightly deserve.” Joey Essex, 28, came out to cheer on the heroes Survival show star  Grylls said at the bash: “The Sun, what a great job you guys do supporting the heroes, so well done and to all your readers that support it.” At the end of the evening, they were all handed a special Millies edition of The Sun — printed and delivered with pics from the night. I’m A Celeb’s Nick Knowles with Ola and James Jordan [article-rail-section title=”MOST READ IN NEWS” posts_category=”141″ posts_number=”6″ query_type=”recent” /] Winners were chosen by our panel of former Forces chiefs and celebrity military supporters from a shortlist whittled down from hundreds of nominations. Top Brass also attended the event, including the nation’s top military chief, General Sir Nick Carter, and the head of the RAF Air Chief Marshal Sir Stephen Hillier. The Millies will be shown on Forces TV next Wednesday at 9pm. Sky 450, Virgin 277, Freesat 165, Freeview/YouView 96. [bc_video video_id=”5979160701001″ account_id=”5067014667001″ player_id=”default” embed=”in-page” padding_top=”56%” autoplay=”” min_width=”0px” max_width=”640px” width=”100%” height=”100%” caption=”Millies 2018: Armed Forces’ heroes and celebrities arrive for The Sun Military Awards”] GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL exclusive@the-sun.co.uk
13 Dec 18
Orange County Register
In September, Marine Sgt. Gary G. Wilson, of Murrieta, rescued two women trapped in their cars — one vehicle burning, the other threatened by fire — after a collision on the 163 Freeway. On Nov. 16, Wilson, 33, was killed in a motorcycle accident on the I-15 on his way home from work. On Wednesday, Dec. 12, Wilson was posthumously awarded the Navy and Marine Corps’ highest non-combat award in a ceremony attended by 200 people at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego, where he most recently served as a drill instructor. The Navy and Marine Corps Medal was presented to Wilson’s 12-year-old son, Ian Wilson. Sgt. Wilson received the award for his heroic actions in rescuing the two women. On Sept. 18, Wilson was riding his motorcycle to work when he came across a fiery crash on the 163 Freeway near the 52 Freeway, just south of Marine Corps Airstation Miramar. According to the award citation, Wilson was driving southbound on the 163, when he observed a large box truck swerve in front of him. The truck veered to the right and slammed into a line of cars causing two cars to spin off the road into the nearby brush. The engine of one car burst into flames. Wilson rushed from his motorcycle to the burning car, where an injured woman was trapped inside and the car doors would not open. “Without regard for his own safety and at great risk to his life from the quickly spreading flames, intense heat, smoke, and the possibility of explosion, Sergeant Wilson broke the passenger side window with his elbow, reached his body into the burning and smoke-filled car, and pulled out the trapped woman,” the citation reads. “Moments later, the car was engulfed in flames. Wilson then returned to the second car. After finding the doors stuck and the woman driver trapped by airbags, and the brush fire encroaching, he pried open the door, pulled out the woman, and carried her to safety. “By his courageous and prompt actions in the face of great personal risk, Sgt. Wilson prevented the loss of life, thereby reflecting great credit upon himself and upholding the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.” Lt. Col. David Becker, commanding officer of the 3rd Recruit Training Battalion at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot, was among the speakers at Wednesday’s ceremony. “Former president Ronald Reagan once said that some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world,” Becker said. “Marines don’t have that problem, and Sgt. Wilson doesn’t have that problem. He positively affected thousands of lives.” The West Coast Drill Instructors Association has donated a brick, displaying Wilson’s name, to be added to the Drill Instructor Monument at the Depot. Wilson enlisted in the Marine Corps in March 2010. He was assigned to the Depot as a drill instructor in March of 2016 after service overseas in Okinawa, Japan, and at Camp Pendleton. Wilson’s awards include two Good Conduct Medals, three Sea Service Deployment Ribbons, a National Defense Service Medal, and the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal. “We extend our deepest condolences to the family and friends of Sgt. Wilson,” said Brig. Gen. Ryan Heritage, commanding general of the Marine Corps Recruit Depot. “Our thoughts and prayers are with them during this difficult period. This is truly the loss of a fine Marine, and he will be missed greatly.” [related_articles location=”left” show_article_date=”false” article_type=”automatic-primary-tag”]
13 Dec 18
SCNG
In September, Marine Sgt. Gary G. Wilson, of Murrieta, rescued two women trapped in their cars — one vehicle burning, the other threatened by fire — after a collision on the 163 Freeway. On Nov. 16, Wilson, 33, was killed in a motorcycle accident on the I-15 on his way home from work. On Wednesday, Dec. 12, Wilson was posthumously awarded the Navy and Marine Corps’ highest non-combat award in a ceremony attended by 200 people at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego, where he most recently served as a drill instructor. The Navy and Marine Corps Medal was presented to Wilson’s 12-year-old son, Ian Wilson. Sgt. Wilson received the award for his heroic actions in rescuing the two women. On Sept. 18, Wilson was riding his motorcycle to work when he came across a fiery crash on the 163 Freeway near the 52 Freeway, just south of Marine Corps Airstation Miramar. According to the award citation, Wilson was driving southbound on the 163, when he observed a large box truck swerve in front of him. The truck veered to the right and slammed into a line of cars causing two cars to spin off the road into the nearby brush. The engine of one car burst into flames. Wilson rushed from his motorcycle to the burning car, where an injured woman was trapped inside and the car doors would not open. “Without regard for his own safety and at great risk to his life from the quickly spreading flames, intense heat, smoke, and the possibility of explosion, Sergeant Wilson broke the passenger side window with his elbow, reached his body into the burning and smoke-filled car, and pulled out the trapped woman,” the citation reads. “Moments later, the car was engulfed in flames. Wilson then returned to the second car. After finding the doors stuck and the woman driver trapped by airbags, and the brush fire encroaching, he pried open the door, pulled out the woman, and carried her to safety. “By his courageous and prompt actions in the face of great personal risk, Sgt. Wilson prevented the loss of life, thereby reflecting great credit upon himself and upholding the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.” Lt. Col. David Becker, commanding officer of the 3rd Recruit Training Battalion at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot, was among the speakers at Wednesday’s ceremony. “Former president Ronald Reagan once said that some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world,” Becker said. “Marines don’t have that problem, and Sgt. Wilson doesn’t have that problem. He positively affected thousands of lives.” The West Coast Drill Instructors Association has donated a brick, displaying Wilson’s name, to be added to the Drill Instructor Monument at the Depot. Wilson enlisted in the Marine Corps in March 2010. He was assigned to the Depot as a drill instructor in March of 2016 after service overseas in Okinawa, Japan, and at Camp Pendleton. Wilson’s awards include two Good Conduct Medals, three Sea Service Deployment Ribbons, a National Defense Service Medal, and the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal. “We extend our deepest condolences to the family and friends of Sgt. Wilson,” said Brig. Gen. Ryan Heritage, commanding general of the Marine Corps Recruit Depot. “Our thoughts and prayers are with them during this difficult period. This is truly the loss of a fine Marine, and he will be missed greatly.” [related_articles location=”left” show_article_date=”false” article_type=”automatic-primary-tag”]
13 Dec 18
Red Tricycle

Fun and adventure are just a short drive away in lovely Lake Arrowhead, just 90 miles east of Los Angeles.

13 Dec 18
Pendleton Woolen Mills

Editor’s note: We have been working with the National Park Foundation for years to protect and preserve America’s national parks through donations generated by purchase of select products. You’ve already read about the restoration of the Grand Helical Stairway at Many Glacier Lodge (now complete); this report concerns our second project, a major restoration of […]

13 Dec 18
Good Company: A Morse Barnes-Brown Pendleton Blog

Dave Czarnecki will present, along with John Barrie of Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner, on the webinar S Corp Redemptions: Characterization, Tax Consequences Post-Tax Reform, Application of Sections 302 and 301. Topics will include structuring S corporation redemptions post-tax reform, under what circumstances redemptions would be disadvantageous to the S corporation or shareholders, application of Section […]

13 Dec 18
CowboyPoetry.com

“Reading the News,” by Erwin E. Smith, c. 1908 from The Library of Congress We receive and come across all sorts of interesting information from a wide range of sources. Below, we gather some quick links to news stories, web features, and other items of interest gathered from the web, social media, and from you, […]